CHILD Protection & Child Rights » IV. National Mechanisms » National Actors » Ministry of Women and Child Development
The Department of Women and Child Development was set up in the year 1985 as a part of the Ministry of Human Resource Development to address the needs of the women and children in the nation. In 2006 it was upgraded from a Department to a Ministry of Women and Child Development.
The mandate of the Ministry is the holistic development of Women and Children. It has the authority to make plans, policies and programmes, enacts/ amends legislation with regard to the target group. It also guides and coordinates the efforts of both governmental and non-governmental organisations working in the field of Women and Child Development. The Ministry has 6 autonomous organisations: National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development, National Commission for women, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), Central Adoption Resource Agency (CARA), Central Social Welfare Board, and Rashtriya Mahila Kosh.
The Ministry of Women and Child Development is headed by Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, Cabinet Minister. The activities of the Ministry are undertaken through six bureaus.
- ICDS, Food & Nutrition Board, World Bank, Training
- Child Welfare & Child Protection, Information Technology, Co-ordinations, Hindi & Parliament
- Child Prostitution & Gender Budgeting
- Statistical Unit, Plan Research, Monitoring & Evaluation
- Financial Advise
- Women Development and Welfare, Vigilance & Administration
Programmes and Schemes that fall under the jurisdiction of the MWCD are:1. Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS)
2. Integrated Child Protection Scheme (ICPS)
3. Wheat Based Nutrition Programme (WBNP)
4. Nutrition Programme for Adolescent Girls (NPAG)
5. Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme For the Children of Working Mothers
7. CHILDLINE services
8. An Integrated Programme for Street Children
9. Balika Samriddhi Yojana (BSY)
10. Scheme for Working Children in need of care and protection
11. Initiatives to combat trafficking of Women and Children
There are a few child related institutions that are associated with the MWCD
- The Central Social Welfare Board: is a national institution that was started in 1953 to promote services for women and children. Though originally part of the government administration is was registered as a charitable organisation in 1969. The CSWB is involved in welfare extension projects, border projects, mahila mandals, etc.
- National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD): is a national organisation dedicated to voluntary action research, training and documentation of all issues concerning women and child development. The institute has four regional centres: Guwahati, Bangalore, Lucknow and Indore. One of the main functions of NIPCCD is to train personnel involved in ICDS.
Contact:Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi (Cabinet Minister, MWCD)
Phone: 011-23074052/ 23074053/ 23074054